Four

The kiddos waiting for the doctor to come talk to us about Abby's arm. 

       Last week, I had to take Abby for a follow up x-ray of the arm she broke earlier this year.  As we waited for the doctor to call us back, the kids entertained themselves with the coloring sheets, crayons, and toys they had in the office.  When the nurse called Abby's name, Abby and Carson stood up.  I stooped down and picked up Elliot and followed them.  In typical Mason style, he trailed behind us several feet.  As Mason entered the nurse's vision she exclaimed, 
"Wow, there's more of them!  They just keep coming!" Although this is not an uncommon response to my four children it still surprises me at times.  I don't think four children is that many.  I mean, yes it feels like a lot to me and Mike and I talk often about how we feel stretched to our limits since having four, but I kind of feel that no matter how many kids you have they emotionally and physically max you out.  
      There was something about going from three to four, however, that seemed to pass us over some invisible societal norm line and thrust us into the realm of "big" family.  in the school setting, I have twice been introduced (by two different acquaintances) as, "This is Melissa, she has FOUR kids."  I am told all the time that I have my hands full and am always asked if we are done.  Most people are polite and I don't mind the comments, but it often just baffles me.  I don't know when four got to be such a big family.
       I have noticed, however, that often older people say the most positive things about my "large" crew.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I took the kids and my niece to get doughnuts.  An older woman was watching us and asked, "Are these all yours?" I responded that four of them were and that one was my niece.  We talked briefly and she said, "You won't regret this in twenty years." And I know I won't.  
      But the great thing is, I don't now.  And I haven't once since the moment I saw those two little pink lines.  Even during the weeks that Mike can't get home in time to help with extra curricular activities, and I feel a little bit like a circus dragging everyone behind me to a soccer or basketball practice. Even during Elliot's first year when he cried so much and slept so little and I felt like I was drowning most of the time.  Even in those moments where it just feels like too much, I always feel incredibly blessed to have these babies. 
       To some four may seem crazy or weird, but to me four is one big, loud, busy, messy, dream come true. 


Comments

  1. I'm going to bookmark this post :) as we contemplate adding a fourth, and final, child to our family I often get overwhelmed with doubts that I won't be able to handle it. I feel like I can barely manage three as it is! But at the same time, our family doesn't yet feel complete and I just pray that Heavenly Father will give me the help I need!!! I'm also realizing that I just have to be more ok with loud, messy, and crazy :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts