Grandpa's 80th Birthday

      My Grandpa D. turned 80 at the end of March.  My grandma arranged a surprise birthday dinner for him at a nearby restaurant.  All the adult family in the area was invited to come.  It was held on a Monday night and the kids had school the next day, so the task of finding a babysitter seemed near impossible.  Mike stayed home with the kids and I went.  I wish Mike could have been there also, but I am so glad I was able to spend the evening with some of my family and my amazing grandparents.  
      Grandma had requested that everyone bring family pictures of their family to put up.  It was neat to see all of their posterity in the pictures.  We shared some of our favorite (and humorous) memories of Grandpa.  His three sons were there and they all shared some funny stories from growing up, some of which I had never heard before.
       It has been a hard year for my grandpa and I was grateful that his birthday was a on one of his good days.  I love and admire my grandparents so much.  Growing up, we would go to their house every first Sunday of the month for dinner and to play with cousins.  We still all get together at least once quarterly and have a family reunion every other year.  Even though are numbers continue to grow making it near impossible to find a place to house us all at these reunions, I love them.  Being with my family, watching my kids play with cousins (some of my cousins are my kids age) and second cousins, brings me so much happiness.
     
Walking into the room we had reserved. 
Somebody found this old hat that apparently Grandpa used to wear camping all the time and he wore it throughout the evening.
The adult grandkids that live in the area.
Grandpa, Grandma, their three sons and wives.  They are just missing Diana and Lance who live in Texas.

Happy Birthday Grandpa!  

Comments

Popular Posts