There's No Place Like Home



       This summer the kids and I got hooked on the idea of having a family theme for our Halloween costumes this year.  After discussing several ideas, we decided the Wizard of Oz would be a good option for us.  My mother-in-law had sewed an adorable Dorothy costume for my niece last year and when it fit Abby that sealed the deal.   We had grand ideas for the other costumes and then we bought a house, sold our house, school and soccer started and suddenly it was almost Halloween and we still needed to get our costumes. Luckily we were able to borrow and use things we already had (including the straw they laid down in our backyard to cover the dirt...we will plant grass in the spring) and the only thing I ended up having to buy was Carson's costume and a bandanna for Mike.  
       I don't think we would have been winning any costume contests, but I thought it came together pretty well, the kids loved it, and we convinced Mike to dress up (he doesn't quite share the enthusiasm for dressing up that the kids and I do, but he is a good sport) so I consider it a success.  
      Presenting, the R family dressed up as the Wizard of Oz.  
 Dorothy and ToTo.
The Tin Man, ToTo, Dorothy, and the Cowardly Lion.

Cutest little puppy ever on his first Halloween.

The Tin Man with his Ax.  He also had a cool oil can from Grandpa D not pictured. 

Our sweet Dorothy.  

All of us together with me as the Wicked Witch and Mike as the Scarecrow.

The plan was for us all to go to a few streets together and then for either Mike or I to go back to the house with Elliot to hand out candy. After a bit I took back the little boys (we were surprised Mason was ready to call it quits, but I think he was just ready to dig into the candy since that's what he immediately did when we got home) and the big kids stayed out with Mike for quite a while.  At our old house (which is just like three blocks away from our new one) we would get TONS of trick or treaters.  I was in that mindset when I bought candy and we got significantly less this year.  Combining all our leftover candy with the big kids haul this year and I feel like we have enough candy to last at least through Easter.  It was a fun night and I loved seeing the excitement my three older kids had.  Mason asked from the moment he woke up when it was time to go trick or treating.  I love celebrating holidays with my family and can't believe we are already into November with Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner!

Comments

  1. I'm so glad I got to see your cute family in person. You guys looked adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I have been waiting to see these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT! Way to go! You have such a beautiful family! I can't wait to see them all! And meet Elliot! WOW I have a lot of exclamation points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts