First Day


 First Day of School...

     This handsome guy started the third grade.  Although sad to be done with summer, he seemed confident going into the first of the "intermediate" (as his beginning of school year letter stated) grades.  He needed a three ring binder, subject dividers, and his classroom was set up in rows instead of table groups!   He was thrilled that I have given up the war of wanting him to wear jeans (with so many other battles in parenthood, I decided it's just not worth it) and that for back to school clothes we simply restocked his supply of shorts, warm up pants, and tshirts.
      At the end of the day he reported that he knew everybody in his class except for one student, that one of his teachers (he has two that job share) reminded him of his last year's teacher Mrs. M (he loved her so that's a compliment), that he now goes to recess with FIFTH graders and that they do not play soccer fairly, and that he can't wait to have P.E. and Music twice a week.
      This beautiful girl started the first grade.  After six years of being my little sidekick she is suddenly  gone all day and if I'm being honest it makes my heart hurt a little bit (or mabye a lot bit).  It seemed like a long day and the little boys and I were early to pick her up anxious to see how it went.  When she finally walked out the door, I was in the wrong place to pick her up.  I motioned to her to keep following her teacher and we would go where we were supposed to.  She had her "I'm about to cry" face on as she followed the teacher and we navigated the crazy after first day of school crowd of parents to get to where we were supposed to be.  
       When we met up with her she flew to me.  Oblivious to the throngs of people surrounding us, she jumped into my arms, wrapped her self around me and hugged me as tightly as she could.  My heart dropped.  Thoughts raced through me head.  She hated it, it was too long, something had happened.              At last she pulled her head back so I could see her little face and she exclaimed, "It was great Mama!"  As she buried her head into my neck for another hug, I breathed a deep sigh of relief and gratitude.  Her favorite things were getting multiple recesses and having the privilege of checking out two library books.  I'm so proud of our little girl!

      The little guy pretending to be a first grader with his sister was going to start preschool this fall, but the potty training has not quite went as planned (that could be a whole other post on it's own).  I think he's enjoyed some time with Elliot and I during the day these last two days, but he misses his older siblings, Abby in particular, desperately.  He probably asked me twenty times in the last ten minutes when it's time to go pick them up (luckily we only have about ten minutes to go).  


 
And this guy?  This kid who was just yesterday we were watching because my parents were out of town and he snuggled up to me on the couch while we watched a Lost marathon because it was too scary for him (so maybe "yesterday" was used loosely as in eight years ago, but still). While I was dropping my babies off at school, my parents were dropping the baby of their babies off at the airport for his two year mission.  He is going to the Alpine German speaking mission which covers Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.  Reports say there was a lot of anxiety and tears at the airport, but an quick email from him today confirmed he had arrived safely at the training center in England and had him sounding much better.  

      All these babies growing up!  Yesterday was almost too much for this mama/sister heart to handle (there was definitely some tears shed, but none in the presence of the kids).  I'm so proud of all of them and can't wait to see the growth this next year (or in Marcus's case the next two years) will bring!























Comments

  1. What an emotional day for you. Your kids looked so cute--you got some great pictures! I'm so glad that Carson and Natty get to be together for one more year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts