Lately


Teeth
       Little Man lost his two front teeth.   These teeth are number three and four to go for him.   Apparently the tooth fairy couldn't find the first front tooth to go under his pillow, because she left him the money and the tooth.  He thought this was great.  Just days later, the next tooth fell out and he and his sister got to scheming.  They decided that they would take turns putting the tooth under their respective pillows every night.  Little Man of course got the first night, it was his tooth after all, but he graciously offered to switch every night after that with his sister.  I told them I thought this might be trying to trick the tooth fairy and that she would probably know that Kiwi hadn't lost any teeth yet.  This logic was lost on them.
       Shortly before bedtime, Little Man frantically asked me if he could write the tooth fairy a note.  I said he could if he hurried and both he and Kiwi booked it to the art table in their jammies.  I could hear them talking in serious, hushed tones and then they came running upstairs.  The tooth was in a sandwich (along with the first front tooth that had been left) with a note that stated the following, "Ples give me a 20 doler bile" which can only be interpreted into "Please leave me a twenty dollar bill." I laughed out loud when I saw the note.  I informed him that he had not asked for a bill and asked if maybe, just maybe he thought that was a little greedy to ask the tooth fairy for so much money.  I then convinced him to put the bag with the teeth the nightstand rather then under his pillow.  The next morning he woke up to no teeth and two dolllars rather then twenty.  He was fine with this and seemed to realize he was shooting a little high with his request.  Both kids were disappointed with both teeth being gone, however.  Kiwi heaved a huge sigh and declared,"Tonight was supposed to be my night with the tooth, but I guess not" and walked off with slumped shoulders.
      Somehow his missing teeth make my oldest son look simultaneously huge and incredibly young at the same time.  And that gapped tooth grin?  Gets me every time.


Kindergarten
      Our little girl continues to enjoy kindergarten and watching her grow this last month has been amazing.  She seems to have more confidence in herself.  She does more things on her own and wants to try things she previously wouldn't.  She loves showing me all her papers from her Minnie Mouse backpack and is thrilled to finally be able to bring a library book home on library day and go to recess after watching her brother for the past couple of years.  When I pick her up after school, she runs straight to me, jumps into my arms, and hugs me tight.  It's one of the favorite moments of my day.



He's turned "two"
    Yes, I know that technically happened a little while ago, but for those of you who have had or had a two year old, you know there is a difference between being the age two and being, well TWO.  Although indisputably one of the cutest stages, the insistence of doing certain things, certain ways on his own, can make parts of our day, especially getting out of the house....tricky, not put it nicely.


My birthday
        So, I turned thirty one last week.  Pretty anti-climatic after the big 3-0 last year.  I admit to having a little bit of a hard time turning 30, but 31 was no big deal (although I did have a kind friend text me a birthday wish and inform me that I am now closer to 40 than 20.  Thanks for that Jess!)
        My birthday was on a Sunday.  Saturday night Mike and I went out with another couple, played mini golf (where I scored FOUR hole in ones and won a free game....but still barely lost to Mike) and got Thai food (yay!  one pregnant craving fulfilled)
        Sunday, Mike and the kids made me breakfast and gave me cards and presents.  That night we had some family over for dinner and Mike made chicken fajitas and a homemade lemon meringue pie.  His first one.  I mean, it was nice of him to get me the new Family Home Evening wall hanging thing I wanted, it was wonderful of him to take all three kids shopping and to lunch on Saturday giving me time to myself, but a PIE.    A pie!  The very pie I have been dreaming of?  That is love.  It was delicious. It's possible I may have had a piece for breakfast the next morning.  So relaxing weekend, a date with my husband, and my top two pregnant cravings fulfilled equals a good birthday.

Soccer
      Little Man is playing soccer again this season and is the big leagues now.  No more three on three stuff.  They now play four on four with goalies (what seven or eight year old doesn't want to wear that awesome striped goalie jersey?)  They even hair referees (is that the correct term for officials in soccer?)  Sure, they are middle schoolers hesitant to blow on the whistle, but still they are out there.
      It has been a lot of fun to watch as they are actually starting to play soccer instead of just running around.  When Kiwi and Mason let me (Mike is helping coach so he's not sitting next to us) I find myself really getting into the games.  Little Man loves it.  The only time he complains is when he has to come out of the game.

Sun
       We have had the most beautiful weather lately.  Sixties and seventies almost every day with bright sun shine.  I know that the grey, wet drizzle is coming, but I keep hoping for a few more days.  I have absolutely loved it.  It almost makes me want to move somewhere where the weather is like this all the time.  But our family is here and all the rain makes it so green and beautiful.  Besides, if it was like this all the time, I probably wouldn't appreciate it and would take it for granted...at least that's what I tell myself.



Comments

Popular Posts