Mat Day

Sunday we invited Mat over for what the kids called "Mat Day."  As Mat's mission comes closer, everyone is clamoring for his time and I wanted a chance for my kids to spend some quality time with their much loved Uncle Mat.  He arrived late Sunday afternoon and was greeted by a very excited Little Man and Kiwi.  Before he even had a chance to set down his things they were thrusting pictures that they had colored for him into his hands.  I knew they had been working on the pictures, but hadn't looked to see what they had done.  I did think it was surprising that Little Man hadn't asked me for help since, "Mommy what does this spell?" and "Mommy, how do you spell this?"  are phrases heard multiple times a day in our house.  
On this card, however, Little Man had taken it upon himself to sound out the word and this was the result.

It says "Dear Mat."  

After a dinner of fajitas, we walked down to the school to play some soccer and play at the park.



I am kind of in love with this picture

While Mason watched from his stroller and Kiwi played on the toys, we played  a little soccer game two on two.  To my surprise Little Man chose me to be on his team.  I wouldn't have thought I stood a chance of being picked when up against Daddy and Uncle Mat.  I mean, he loves his Mommy, but I know I am not as cool as an uncle.  I played my hardest and tried to reach back to the skills I learned from my one year of soccer back in the first grade.  Luckily, our team won (I'm thinking they let us).  

Kiwi and Uncle Mat at the park


After watching the soccer game from his stroller, Mason was happy to pull himself up at the park and attempt to pull off his latest playground obsession which is seeing how close he can get to eating sawdust before I pull it out of his mouth.  


 Is it bad that I snapped this picture before grabbing the sawdust away?

After coming home, we watched Tangled and then Mat got to sleep on the top bunk while the kids slept in their sleeping bags on the floor.  My children have been blessed with wonderful aunts and uncles. 

Comments

  1. I love the idea of your “Mat Day” and think it is so fun that your kids have an uncle that would hang out with them all evening and even spend the night – super fun!

    And there’s nothing wrong with sucking on a little bark every now and then. Have you heard the theory that overly disinfecting & immunizing our children may make them less able to fight off diseases? So you’re just doing your part to make him stronger – and capturing a cute picture is an added bonus. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Seriously, that card made me laugh so hard. I am super jealous of your "Mat day". I love seeing everyone happy together though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the card too- so fun to see our little Kindergarteners learning how to spell things out, especially when they tell their uncles to die!

    So fun that your kids have a fun (single) uncle that can give them so much attention. My kids have a couple of single aunts and uncles (younger bros and sisters of Ben and I) and they are the best- so much fun, so much energy and are so awesome to our kids. And I'm impressed he slept on the bunk bed- Uncle of the year award goes to Mat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The card is hilarious. I love when kids are first learning to spell and innocently end up with funny things like that. Aren't Uncles the best! My kids are lucky to have some pretty great ones too. I love watching that relationship. How great that he is serving a mission too and setting a good example for your kids. They will remember that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts