Random Thoughts

February 14-21

On Being a Princess

Kiwi come downstairs a couple of days ago, as she frequently does, dressed in her a princess dress up dress, plastic shoes, and princess costume jewelry.
"Mommy, I'm a beautiful princess." Sensing a teaching moment, I knelt down beside her and said, "Yes, you are a beautiful princess. And do you know why?"
"Why?" she asked.
"You are beautiful on the inside and the out. You are kind and smart, a good sister, you try hard and that is why you are a beautiful princess."
"Yes, she repeated, "I'm a beautiful princess. I have a dress, a necklace and this thing (holding up her arm where she wore a pink bracelet) says princess so that's why I am one."
I tried...

Angry Birds
Little Man has recently become obsessed with Mario Kart and Angry Birds. Besides Wii Fit we have not done a lot of video gaming around her so this is new territory. We restrict his time playing, but we can't stop his little mind from thinking about them. His toy cars have now transformed into Mario Kart players and both games have become frequent topics of conservations for him.
The other day while he was playing Angry Birds he was talking to himself.
"What would I do if I were an angry bird? Come on C, think like an angry bird, think like an angry bird!"


Old Navy
By Thursday morning, I was going stir crazy. Sick kiddos had meant that from Sunday to Thursday I had only really left the house for a doctor's appointment and to get Little Man to school. By Thursday everyone was feeling much better so after Mason and I dropped Kiwi off at pre-school we decided to use our two hours to hit the mall. We went into Old Navy which has been completely redone at our local mall. While in the dressing room, I noticed that there are three pegs to hang your clothes. One "not for me" and two "love its." I wonder if there is some research to back up having two places to hang the love it clothes and more clothes purchased.
Although I pride myself on being too smart to fall for such sub conscious gimmicks to get me to buy, I did find myself feeling like I needed to place the clothes on the right pegs. I had a really hard time putting something I wasn't going to buy on the love it peg. Consequently, my not for me peg was quite crowded with just a couple of things hanging on the "love it." And then these pegs starting working opposite of what I am sure they were supposed to do. Because although absolutely amazing that a pair of pants on the clearance rack came in my size (being a fairly common size, this rarely happens) for only 3.97 as I looked at them hanging on the love it peg. I thought, "I don't really love those pants. Even if they are 3.97 I don't Love them. Maybe if it said like it..." And I put them back.

These are the things I ponder when given the rare quiet shopping moment with just one sleeping baby. It's riveting, I know.

My wonderful husband
I have an amazing husband whom I love very much. This weekend he went snow camping with the teen-agers from church and some of the other youth leaders from Friday night to Saturday afternoon. Also this weekend we had some water damage to our condo garage (due to the upstairs neighbors) which had to be taken care of Sunday morning which means Mike was an hour late to church. Which meant he missed the whole first hour where we are all in the chapel together. I am grateful for a husband who serves, I am grateful for a husband who takes care of things like making calls and supervising the tearing out of sheetrock so that the condo's garage doesn't mold. While he was busy doing these things, it was me and the kiddos. Now I am used to it be just me and the children during the week, but I have to admit I struggle when I'm on my own on Saturday and I was not exactly happy about the unexpected single parent gig to sacrament meeting.
As we were preparing to leave at the end of church, Kiwi melted into a crying puddle on the floor in the hallway. Mike was there by this point and carried her out to the van. Little Man carried out his scriptures and a toy. I carried out Mason in his carrier, a blanket, the diaper bag, and my primary bag.
Since he had not seen much of them this weekend, I gave Mike the privilege of driving home the van with the three angels (one of them screaming remember) home. I got into his car which was parked directly next to the family van of fun. As I was getting in he rolled down the window and said, "Enjoy your ride" and at that moment both of our eyes rested on the bag of jelly beans laying in the center console which must have been left over from his camping trip.
Smiling sweetly, I held up the bag and said, "Oh, I will," and then blew him a kiss and waved. Then as he closed the door, I reclined the seat and leaned back with my hands behind my head. He gave me a surprised look and then laughed. He thought I was kidding and I was. Sort of. I definitely could have taken a nap then and there, but I didn't feel like having everyone wondering why I was snoozing in the car. So I waited a minute and then followed my family home.
And I totally ate Mike's jelly beans the whole way there.

Comments

  1. Yet another life parallel. We need to get our boys together, they could talk to each other about Angry Birds all day! And we don't even have it in our home, he only plays it at my parent's house! Now I need to go find some jelly beans, that sounds really good...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts