Fall Festival

On Friday I was able to go to Little Man's kindergarten fall festival as one of the parent helpers. I loved the chance to get a little glimpse into his life at school. I was in charge of the pumpkin tracing table. This was pretty cool because after they traced the pumpkin shapes with their pencils they were able to color them in with (gasp!) markers. This is apparently a big deal, because usually it's crayons only in this class. One boy told me that they did use the markers once back on September 8th (the first day of school). Here are some thoughts I had while helping out.
*When I walked in, Little Man's entire face lit up and he started waving with that enthusiastic, huge kid wave that just melted my heart. As soon as he could, he came and gave me a hug and he wanted to start at my station. I will be sad the day that I show up to help at school and he has to be "cool" and pretend to not see me.
*Although I think Little Man is such a big boy and treat him like one at home, five year olds are really just babies still.
*A classroom full of costume clad five and six year olds is one of the cutest things I've ever seen.
*I met Little Boy D who Little Man had told me about several times. D is the only boy in the class who is SIX years old. D even started the year at six and this makes him super cool in Little Man's eyes. Little Man plays soccer with him at recess. Little Man and D both started at the pumpkin tracing station where D immediately started talking about football. He was dressed like Matt Hassleback, the quarterback for the Seattle SeaHawks. When he started talking about high school football, I mentioned that Little Man's uncle used to play high school football. When I said his name was Mat, D's eyes about doubled in sized. He stopped coloring with his marker, looked up and said, "Matt HASSLEBACK?" As in, he thought Little Man's uncle was Matt Hassleback. And for a split second, I saw myself saying yes and making Little Man the most popular kid in kindergarten. But alas popularity built on lies would never last and his uncle, although pretty awesome, is not Matt Hassleback so I said no.
*While coloring his pumpkin, Little Man turned to another little boy next to him and said, "Dude, hey dude, look at my pumpkin." At this point I did a double take. When did my kid start saying "dude?"
*The kids in Little Man's class are much more TV savvy then my little guy. They were talking about the shows they watch on Netflix and bringing up movies like Harry Potter. Little Man is still watching Curious George and Tigger and Pooh. Not that I think there is anything wrong with that, it was just a realization to me.

After going through the various stations, all the kindergartners lined up and went on a parade around the school. They were the only grade allowed to dress up and the older kids really enjoyed having them come in.


Starting the parade

The cool inflatable wings I found online. He had to fold them every time he went through a door way. I was excited about this find because Little Man had seen the deluxe Buzz Lightyear costume with wings that cost 50.00 dollars. There was no way I was going to spend that much on a costume, but I found the suit for 12.00 and then these cool inflatable wings for 10.00
Little Man and one of his friends E. He loves E and is thrilled that she is in his class.
I still can't believe my baby boy goes to school every day!

Comments

Popular Posts