Memorial Day weekend

Forget Memorial Day weekend, this year we had Memorial Day week. It consisted of spending time with my sister, meeting my nephew, watching my brothers compete in one of the most exciting races I've ever seen (and I've watched A LOT of cross country and track races in my day) and getting away with my husband for a couple of days. I divided this fabulous week into a few different posts as I try to catch up, so here it goes.
It started Tuesday night, with my sister and baby boy Joshua coming in from Iowa. Mallory and I had been trying to figure out a way to get me out there to have a little sister time and meet my new nephew, but it was proving to be near impossible to find a time that would work for everyone before our little boy comes. One day, towards the beginning of May, we were talking on the phone and she expressed her desire to see little brothers Mat and Marcus run in the state track meet at the end of the month. And our little scheme was hatched. Mike and I had a free ticket which we transferred to her name and with a little creative scheduling and Mallory (and husband Brandon who ended up driving four hours each way to get her to and from different airports) being willing to be flexible with what airports she flew in and out of, we were able to secure tickets from her. At first we weren't going to tell anybody in the family, but we ended up telling my mom because we were worried that she would be working for half the time Mallory was here. I'm glad we did, because Mom did end up getting Thursday and Friday off which would have been a lot harder to do at the last minute.
My dad and brothers did not know she was coming, however, and it was a pretty good surprise. The favorite surprise I witnessed was that of Mike and Paula. My little brother Marcus made up an excuse to call Michael and Paula over to their house (the kids and I had come out for the evening to witness all their surprises). When Mike and Paula showed up, Mallory hid in the pantry. I was holding Joshua when they walked in. Both Mike and Paula were confused at who I was holding, I told them it was a baby mom was babysitting. Michael believed it, but Paula kept looking at Joshua with a confused expression. We thought Michael would go right to the pantry because that is where he always goes when he gets to Mom and Dad's, but he was taking his sweet time getting to his snack selection. After a couple of minutes, Little Man asked him if he would want a snack. Michael opened the pantry and then turned his back to it to say something. We could see Mallory, but he couldn't. At last he turned around and the look on his face was priceless.
I love surprises. Although if given the choice (which I guess you aren't in the case of surprises) I don't know if I would choose one since I have found that often the anticipation that precedes a looked forward to event can be as sweet as the event itself.
The kids were thrilled to see their aunt and to meet their new cousin although Little Man mentioned several times that he wished Annabelle could have come also (I also wish Annabelle and Brandon could have come along for the trip).
Kiwi, Josh, and Little Man. Joshua is two months old but already 18 pounds. He is a big little guys and so cute. I am amazed that Mal can carry him around all day like she does; my arms got tired after a little while. The five days they were here were full of bundling the kids in their rain gear for the state track meet and dinners out, we also were able to spend some relaxing time at the house catching up on sister talk and loving each others kids.
This was supposed to be a picture of all the boys minus brother in law Brandon, but Kiwi jumped right in
It's always special when all four of my siblings and I can be together. I didn't even notice that my children were in it until I loaded it onto the computer. Apparently they think if there is a picture, they are invited.

Comments

Popular Posts