"The Island"

And if spending time with my favorite sister and watching my little brothers win the state track meet wasn't enough, my week just continued to get better. Sunday morning Mike and I packed the car with two kids, car seats, stuffed animals, special blankets, a suitcase, and a duffel bag and went to church with my parents. We then left without car seats, kids, special blankets, stuffed animals, and a suitcase. We headed on a two day, two night little trip trip about two hours away. I feel like the vacation started the moment we began driving. Just having that uninterrupted time to talk was fantastic.
We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in the woods and it was a fun place. It was back in the trees in the middle of nowhere and really gave you the feeling of getting away. The breakfasts were delicious and consisted of really natural food like oatmeal pancakes and fresh fruit. Our room was nice and we had our own little path that lead to a hot tub which the inn keeper was kind enough to turn down to a pregnancy safe temperature of 98 degrees. One night, we bought a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream from the little grocery store in town and ate in in the hot tub (I'm pretty sure you weren't supposed to have food in it...get us away from our every day responsibilities and we become a couple of crazy kids :)
Pictures from a little harbor town we spent some time at.
This park was called Whale Watching Point and according to the data posted we had a 1 in 5 chance of seeing a whale. We did not see a whale, but we did enjoy the pretty view and saw some sort of dolphin or something (it had a fin) out in the water.
31.5 weeks pregnant (I'm 33 weeks today! The countdown is starting)
Down by the water
The whole time we were there Mike kept calling it "the island" which made me think of Lost. When we took a trail that lead us out of state park property (for all of about twenty feet), I really felt like we were on Lost. And although Mike has more of a Jack personality, I can't relate much with Kate, so I cast myself as Juliette and told Mike he had to be Sawyer.
Tuesday morning we went to a different part of the island and hiked along a beach up to a light house.
On the ferry. When I asked a nice man who was also out on the deck with his wife to take a picture of us he replied, "Sure I'll take a picture of the three of you." This was followed by a little bit of an awkward pause as I tried to figure out why we would want a picture with his wife in it. Luckily I figured it out before I said something to make the moment more awkward. The three of us...the baby right.
I smiled and patted by belly so he knew I got it.
(As a side note, I did not realize how incredibly pregnant I was looking until I saw all these pictures of myself. )
On the way home we stopped at this bridge.
You could walk all the way under it. It was pretty cool and the water was the I thought the water was prettiest color.

We had such a great time and it was so, so nice to spend some uninterrupted time together. Thanks Mom and Dad for watching the kids!

Comments

  1. You are so lucky that you guys get to go away, just the two of you...I don't think Ben and I have done that since our honeymoon 6 years ago...(cause vacations were always with family)...you'll have to tell me about that place, looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such a nice getaway! You look so cute too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts