The Christmas Tree

Tree farms are a perfect pick for our family. I appreciate that there is something between picking out a tree in front of the grocery store (which we have done before) and hiking (read: carrying) our kids through the snow in the mountians and chopping down a tree in the forest. This year some friends gave us the scoop about a tree farm which is just fifteen minutes from our house and that sells all their Douglas Firs for thirty dollars. When we got we were greeted by a friendly man named Harvey (although we were told the original Harvey is now in heaven) and shown around a delighful family owned tree farm. And sure enough any Douglas Fir was thirty dollars. We had to head a ways back, but we found a perfect tree for our family. Then, while Mike and another nice man (not named Harvey) strapped the tree to the van, a teen-age girl brought us yummy hot chocolate as the kids and I stood around the fire and warmed up. It was great (if you are around here and want a great, affordable tree farm let me know and I'll give you the info)
Mike and Little Man measuring our find. 10 feet, 4 inches. Mike says we could have went bigger. I reminded him that we needed to fit it on the van. It was quite a feat getting it into the little tree stand we have (it's not made for big trees) but after a half and hour of Mike and I working at it, some impatient kids, and one broken ornament, we had it standing straight.

My favorite thing about our tree is that most of the ornaments have a story. The kids each get an ornament every year and our moms gave Mike and I a lot of our old ornaments so it may look a little hodge podge like, but I love it (I didn't get a good picture of it all decorated that day. I'll have to take one later)

Comments

  1. That is a great tree! I'm impressed with your find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, $30 for a 10 foot tree?! That is a great deal! We go the artificial route since the real trees around here are too pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that deal! Now that we live in the desert we have a fake tree, but we got a live one our first year married. I think we paid $40 for a sad little douglas that wasn't even 6 feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful tree...your tree stand though...it scares me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto on the tree stand! My parents ended up getting a huge stand (well, you've seen my family's trees) because they kept falling over and breaking ornaments. But what a BIG BEAUTIFUL tree! I love it! Can't wait to see it decorated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts