The Lego Kid

9:00 p.m. last night found our family sitting in a room at the ER with a friendly nurse sticking his head in the door asking, "Is this the Lego kid?"

At about 8:00 p.m. last night in the midst of cleaning up and getting ready for bed, Kiwi told me her nose hurt. I assumed she needed to blow it and said just a minute. She seemed really intent on whatever was going on with her nose, however, so I stopped picking up and gave her my attention. And that's when I saw the tiny object up her left nostril.
"Did you put something in your nose?" I asked probably not as calmly as I should have. To which she responded, "Yes, a yego (Lego). I got a little nervous at this point, my mind racing with all possibilities of a Lego in the nose (made worse by the fact that I wasn't sure what could happen with a Lego up your nose) and called for Mike to come look. His unsuccessful attempt to get it out with tweezers had both of us anxious and Kiwi in hysterics. We jumped in the mini van and headed down to the ER.
Luckily they were really quick about getting her in, which I was not expecting. And after I confirmed to the nurse that yes, the Dora clad toddler who was burrowing her head into me was indeed the Lego kid, he chuckled and told us Dr. B would be in in a minute.
Dr. B was soon there and in about two minutes (most of which was spent unwrapping a little tool which I can only assume was made for getting things out of little noses) had the tiny, clear, round Lego out. When the Lego fell out, Little Man cheered and said, "Yay! My lego!" and rushed forward. When I informed him there was something extra from his sister's nose on the Lego, he backed away quickly.
Although she looks fairly happy in the above photo, I think that the experience has cured her from any future nose adventures. She was pretty nervous the whole time, clinging to me and Teddy and not saying much.

The offending Lego (it did take the doctor a minute to locate it because it was so clear).

10:00 found two kids being tucked in bed. Although I would have rather been a million other places last night, I am grateful that they were able to get her in and out so fast (our last experience with the ER was not so good) and I feel so blessed that our children are healthy. If I have to be taking a child to the ER I'm glad that it was because she was the Lego kid and not for something else.

Comments

  1. Oh my heavens. The things that only ever happen after the doctor's office closes, right? Glad it was quick and as untraumatic as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it isn't really funny, but I did chuckle a little, the lego kid. Glad she is ok and you didn't have to spend hours there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have to admit that I laughed too. Landon has those Lego pieces in his box, maybe I should put them up for now. While I KNOW Landon doesn't put things in his mouth anymore, I didn't think about his nose...I'm glad Kiwi is safe and sound now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled at this entry as it reminded me of a day this spring when Tyson got something stuck up his nose. I can only imagine how Kiwi was reacting because Tyson was pretty nervous, too, with just a chocolate chip up his nose! Warm saline rinse got his out, thankfully. So sorry you had to go to the ER. Glad it was fast. Glad it happened before baby comes...or has baby come already? When do you want to pick out fabric for your Kozy? Just call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of when Adam put a green pea up his nose. The Doc couldn't get it out with the plyers so he sucked it out using medical tubing. He commented that it was tasty. Yuk!

    Glad everything worked out for Kiwi.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts