Welcome Fall

As the weather gets colder and the days shorter, I am starting to think of what I will do with my kids as we inch away from hours spent outside to those winter days where I sometimes feel as if I will go crazy stuck in my house with children (literally) bouncing off the walls. Inspired by a friend's blog who is doing home pre-school with her children I got the idea to do something like that one day a week. Little Man goes to a wonderful pre-school on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and we love it. We are planning on sending Kiwi there next year. My plan is not to do home pre-school, but to do a structured themed activity with my kids one day a week, probably on Wednesday.
Last week we celebrated the beginning of fall. We started on the floor in the family room talking about what day it was and what season was starting. We sang "Squirrel, Squirrel, Shake your Bushy Tail" and then did a session of kid's yoga.
Our activity was simple, but fun. Each kid painted two paper plates fall colors. We then went on a "field trip" while they were drying. We walked to a park down the street from our house and went on a nature walk picking up different leaves and looking at the trees that are just starting to change colors. The kids put their findings into their own paper bags that they had colored earlier.
When we got home, they glued their leaves onto their plates. Like I said, nothing fancy (I am not very talented when it comes to the arts and crafts area), but the kids enjoyed it and so did I.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Very cute! What a great idea...if you ever want company on these "structured activity" days...let me know. Landon would love this kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that as you're thinking of the kids being stuck inside, I'm just now looking forward to weather cool enough to go to the park!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts