Kiwi's Room

A couple of weeks ago we painted Kiwi's room and I put the finishing touches on it this last week. Below are the results.
Before: Kiwi's room was previously painted a pale yellow on three walls with one bright blue wall.
After: Since our crib bedding is green and white and we are planning on keeping this room as the nursery (NOT an announcement) for any future babies, we decided to paint it a color that would work for either sex. We choose "Lime Sherbet Green" and called Kiwi the Lime Sherbet Princess all weekend. This, of course, prompted Little Man to inquire what his paint color was. "Tidal Basin Blue" Prince didn't just didn't have the same ring.
The polka dots are rub ons and I have mixed feelings about them. They are called "Insta Murals" and I ordered them on line. It was way, way easier and less time consuming then painting polka dots, but they didn't go on as smoothly or easily as their packaging promised. When you walk in they look great, but if you get right up next to them, you can see little creases and even a tear in a couple of them. It looks fine, but if you are the type of person who would go crazy knowing they weren't perfect, I wouldn't recommend them for walls. I did, however, rub the smallest ones onto some painted wood letters that spell her name and they look fantastic on those. I'm thinking it had something to do with the size of the dots; the bigger they were the harder it was to get them to go on.
We didn't buy much for the transformation. The biggest purchase for the Ikea toy storage in the middle picture with the pink bins. We bought a couple of new frames and the polka dots, and then basically just used what we had. I had purchased some art postcards, one of Christ and one of a little girl praying, for 1.89 and I framed those and pained the mat around them pink (probably not acid free or photo safe, but I figured for the price if I have to replace the pictures someday, it will be okay). I also went shopping in some of my bins of old stuff in the garage (the bins my parents saved for me until I had a garage of my own at what point they happily and quickly delivered them all back to me). I found an old card that was made for my birthday years back by my great grandmother who has since passed away. She would always hand make her cards. I framed that (on left) in a frame (also found in the garage) that I painted pink. I found a figurine of a little girl given to my by other grandparents that I put on the dresser and pink and green photo frames that were given to me when Kiwi was born and I'd never done anything with them. I was going to make an "I am a Child of God" sign with vinyl lettering and then my mother-in-law returned from a trip to Utah and had bought a pink one for Kiwi that matched up almost perfectly with the pink that I had painted her frames and letters.
Take special notice of the spectacular piece of art hanging in the pink frame above the toy bin. It is, in fact, an original and a one kind made by the Lime Sherbet Princess herself. I know, I know, the paint smears just scream natural artistic ability.
It's definitely no Pottery Barn room, but it makes me happy to tuck my little girl into her cozy pink and green room at night.
And the little sideways goof ball (I flipped it TWICE before uploading it and it's now past my bedtime, so it's staying sideways) seems happy to be tucked into it...and really that's all that matters.


Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. It is so cute! I love it. I've been looking into some of those rub-on's but I guess I have an answer now! :O) Your goofball is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I love how a new coat of paint transforms a room for just a little money. The furniture looks so much cuter against that green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very cute! I bet she just LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute, it makes me so excited to get to work on my girls rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the framed card! That makes me all teary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts