Reminder

"Mommy, I'm waiting for you to do questions," Little Man's voice called from his little bed across the room from the crib where I was trying to get his little sister settled in.

My shoulders tensed. It had already taken an hour to get them through the bedtime routine which is usually 25-30 minutes. Questions is something Mike started with Little Man a few months back. He tucks him in the then Little Man gets to ask three questions about anything he wants. On occasion we will ask for me, but usually it his him and Mike's time. It is very sweet to witness, but on this night Mike was holed up in the bedroom doing homework and work as he has been for much of this week. He is completely swamped with deadlines and homework due dates so I've been doing most of the kid stuff all on my own including starting to pack up (more about his later).

I didn't want to do questions. I was tired. I was done for the day. But his voice was so sweet and earnest and it wasn't his fault that Daddy and Mommy have been so busy. Without turning around and while continuing to tuck Kiwi and her six stuffed animals and dolls in I asked what he wanted to know about it.

He paused for a minute thinking and then simply said one word,
"Jesus."

My arms froze mid tuck and in an instant I felt all my frustration melt away. After finishing with Kiwi, I walked across the room and sat gently down on the side of his bed. And in the two moments he gave me before losing interest I tried to tell him of Jesus. Of His life, of His sacrifice, of how much He loves this precious little boy who lay in the little bed with the fan turned on wearing zip up red Santa jammies because "it's my choice Mommy."

I am so thankful for my children and for the reminder they are to me of what really matters.

Comments

  1. That is sweet! Its funny how kids can catch you by surprise - just when I thought the nursery or primary kids I taught weren't getting a thing - they go and repeat a story or answer a question or something to show you its all worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts